Why Don't DVR Owners Skip Commercials? - Silicon Alley Insider
Peter Kafka reports on yet another survey that says most DVR owners still watch TV ads. He speculates the reasons:
• We are ancient (35+) and well past the age at which we can adapt to
new technology. Future generations will reflexively zip past
commercials without a second thought.
• Advertisers have already
adapted to the DVRs and have suddenly begun creating innovative and
compelling ads which are worth watching.
• We are comatose and would rather stare blankly at a screen then expend the necessary effort to hit the fast forward button.
I see three entirely different reasons than him:
- We are taking refrigerator or bio breaks. I call them input/output sessions.
- We are using the time to Twitter our friends on what we think of what we are watching.
- We are making quick calls and emails.
I don't know about you, but my Tivo is only one of three tech tools I use during my brief spells in front of the tube. I have my laptop and my phone at hand as well and I actually get a far amount done without actually missing much from the tube.
What I seriously doubt is that over 75% of DVR viewers actually sit and watch that vast wasteland which is TV advertising.
Powered by ScribeFire.